Business

Valve adds new security check after attackers compromise Steam accounts of multiple game devs and update their games with malware-

The Steam accounts of multiple game developers were recently compromised and used to update their games with malware. Fewer than 100 Steam users had the games installed when the malware was added, and they’ve been directly notified of the risk by email, according to Valve. The company confirmed details of the story, reported earlier this week by GameDiscoverCo newsletter founder Simon Carless, in an email to PC Gamer today.

Although this attempt to use Steam to distribute malware wasn’t very effective, Valve has taken a major step to prevent it from happening again. Starting October 24, game developers will be required to pass a two-factor authentication check before updating the default branch of a released game—the version that Steam will automatically deliver in an automatic update to most players who have it installed.

An SMS text message will be the only way to receive the two-factor code, so Steam partners must register a mobile phone number to be used any time they want to update their game’s main release version. To developers who don’t have a phone, Valve’s post about the change says “sorry,” but they’ll “need a phone or some way to get text messages” if they want to continue updating their games.

Valve tells PC Gamer that this “extra friction” for partners is a “necessary tradeoff for keeping Steam users safe and developers aware of any potential compromise to their account.” This recent incident hasn’t been the only attempt to gain illegitimate access to Steam partner accounts: Valve says it has seen “an uptick in sophisticated attacks” targeting the accounts of devs who release games on Steam.

Steam partners will also need to use SMS verification to add new users to their group, and Valve says that it plans to add the two-factor security check to other Steam backend actions in the future.

One of the games temporarily compromised was NanoWar: Cells VS Virus, whose developer, Benoît Freslon, said on X that he was himself the victim of malware which stole his browser access tokens, giving the attackers temporary access to any web service he was logged into at the time. “I just used my dev account to release the game few hours before the hack I suppose,” he said.

Related Posts

Riot shares tips on fostering online sportsmanship at GDC 2014

Passes for the Game Developers Conference 2014 are going fast, and today we're proud to announce a new batch of sessions that you'll want to check out. Session…

CoD- Warzone And MW3 Season 4 Brings Popular Character Back From The Dead

The Season 4 update for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Warzone arrives on May 29, and the new promo art released by Activision shows the return…

New Persona 4 Golden PC Mod Makes It Look Like The Original On PS2

A PC mod for Persona 4 Golden has been released that makes its graphics look like how they looked like on the original PS2 game. It’s currently 40%…

Activision Can Mute Toxic Call Of Duty- MW2 Players; New Player-Reporting Tools Also Unveiled

Anyone who has ever played a Call of Duty game is likely all too familiar with a certain level of toxicity from other players Come from bangladesh online casino…

Aliens- Fireteam Elite Coming To Game Pass December 14

If Back 4 Blood isn’t scratching your co-op shooter itch, Xbox Game Pass is getting another co-op shooter in the form of Aliens: Fireteam Elite, and it’s coming…

Amazon Prime Now Has 200 Million Subscribers Worldwide

Amazon Prime now has more than 200 million subscribers. As reported by The Hollywood Reporter, the figure was revealed by outgoing CEO Jeff Bezos in a letter to…